Is there a wood floor product (epoxy? urethane?) that could be poured to level subfloor?

Q imported from our old site, Face Lift Floors: We have just finished installing hardwood flooring over radiant heating in our kitchen. We have one area approximately 15″ x 20″ that is not level and is noticeable when walking. Is there any wood floor product (epoxy, urethane) that could actually be poured into this “valley” in our floor and would dry level with the clear finish that the floor already has? We would rather not pull up the planks at this point.

A: I am sure there’s any number of patching compounds you can use to level this area in your kitchen. I did a quick scan of the Bostik site, and they had a number of products which should meet your need.

I hope you consulted the specifications regarding the hardwood floor you installed. They don’t all warrant installation over radiant heated floors. This would necessitate removing the flooring in the area with the cavity, which is something you don’t want to do. I am not aware of any other type of liquid product that you could pour onto the surface of your floor to bring that section up to level with the rest of the floor. I would say I am 99.999 percent certain there is no such product on the planet.

Unless this dip is severe, I would suggest you live with it. I would think that in no time at all, you will simply forget it is there.

Original / moved link

Q imported from our old site, Face Lift Floors: I’m planning to install 3/4″ hardwoods in our living and dining room. There are some uneven spots. Is there any kind of leveling compound which will not break when nailing the strips?

A: Depending on how severe the unevenness is in your subfloor, I generally suggest installing 3/8 spruce plywood over existing pine subfloors, screwed to the joists. While this will not totally correct the unevenness problem, it gives you a smooth, fairly even surface to install the floor over.

If the problem is severe enough, then the best thing to do is remove the subfloor where needed. Either shim or shave joists as needed and install the subfloor back in place. I still suggest putting plywood over existing pine planking as it gives a better working surface. If you decide to skip the plywood stage, absolutely, screw or spike down the existing subfloor.

Original / moved link

Shimming the joists to level subfloor

Q imported from our old site, Face Lift Floors: We have a two level house with a full basement. We want to level the floors on the first level. Can we do this ourselves and if so where do we start? If not, who do we contact and what would be a ballpark figure?

A: It seems to me it would depend on how much variance there is in the subfloor. If there is a large difference, say of several inches over 8 feet, then perhaps you may need to remove the subfloor to expose the joists. You will either have to shave down the high joists or use shims on the lower ones. Such a job would have to be surveyed to determine a cost.

Original / moved link

Leave a Comment