ISO 1 inch wide 3/8 thick maple wood flooring for repair

Q: I need to find about 200 sq feet of 1 inch wide 3/8 thick maple wood flooring to repair an area from water damage. Any suggestion as to where I can locate this?

A: I’m not going to be able to help you with this one. I’ve seen flooring with those dimensions 2 or 3 times in over 40 years and those were always oak. You are going to have to get this milled yourself. Sounds like a real joy to install!

Follow-up Q: Do you know of a source, if we were to go with oak instead?

A: You should check demolition companies. I do think your chances of finding this are close to zero.

Related Q: How do you replace floor planks that do not have a tongue and groove? Who sells these planks? The floor is red oak. It is a finished floor from the 1950’s. It is 1/4′ thick and 2 1/4′ wide and nailed to the subfloor. We need to replace several boards due to dark stains in conspicuous places. The boards are not tongue and groove. We have checked local lumber and flooring stores in our area (Louisville, KY) and no one seems to have what we need. Any ideas?

A: I’ve never heard of these dimensions. Usual thickness is either 3/8 or 3/4. And no tongue and groove? where are the boards nailed? Through the face?

Only thing I can suggest is making your own. You can get 2 1/4 wide, 3/4 thick. Find someone with a decent table saw, remove the tongue and cut it to thickness.

Related Q: I have the Seaman Kent flooring in my house as per your article. I’m in Duncan, BC. I am looking to match some small pieces, but don’t know where to source it from.

A: The flooring doesn’t have to be made by Seaman-Kent. The dimensions of their old product are still available either in 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 wide, 3/8 thick. Any hardwood retailer who sells unfinished strip can provide you with what you need. Woodchuck Flooring Inc. in Scarborough is one example.

Leave a Comment