Staggering wood floors in where walls were removed

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmailby feather

Q: I am thinking about taking down some walls in the living room, which has beautiful hardwood flooring. Can the gaps on the floor (where the walls used to be) simply be filled in with more hardwood, and entire floor then sanded down and stained to match?

A: Yes, of course you can install flooring to match where the walls have been removed, provided the existing flooring has a thick enough wear surface to tolerate a complete sanding. To have a less noticeable patch every row of boards will have to be individually cut back and staggered, then new pieces fitted in.

Sometimes the installer originally may have had to change direction when dealing with these walls. If that happens so that the tongue is facing opposite directions on each side of the repair, you may have to simply cut one side straight but stagger the opposing side.

Similar Q: I recently took out the carpet covering my hardwood floors. There was a wall previously removed and there is a gap between the floor boards. Is there a way to fill the void?

A: Stagger the boards on both sides of the void and put in new hardwood.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmailby feather