facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmailby feather

Q: What is the best product to fill gaps in a hardwood floor? What is best wood filler for hardwood floors? Or putty? I am refinishing.

A: There are a lot of different fillers on the market. I haven’t used them all. Woodwise is OK, but like most of them will crack out if there is movement between boards. The toughest one I’ve ever used is Timbermate but it is quite expensive and difficult to work with. For small, occasional gaps and nail holes I like a tube filler called Color-Rite. It comes in hundreds of tones and is easy to work with and being more of a caulking won’t pop out. There are also stain-able adhesives on the market that have a place.

Related Q: I have old, wide plank chestnut flooring in my kitchen/dining area. The boards are approx. 12′ wide and 1 1/4′ thick. The house was built in 1803. I am looking into what I need to do to prep and refinish (seal) the boards. They have not been addressed in approx. 10 yrs. They are not smooth and there are spaces between ranging from 3/8 to 1/2′. Is there a caulk of some sort that I can fill the gaps with?

A: Wow. I’d love to see that floor! You might take a look at Timbermate: www.timbermate.com

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmailby feather

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.


Terms of Use & Copyright

Limitation of Liability for Use of Information and Resources: We are not liable, in any event, for any effects of advice given at this site or at resources we link to. We ultimately suggest you seek the advice of a local professional who can visit on-site to more accurately access your situation. Also see our recommendation to hire a pro. By submitting a question to us, you're agreeing to have us post your question(s) anonymously here with our answer(s), to help as many people as possible.

All materials Copyright ©2014 Wood Flooring Guy.com

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Detection Software

Ask the Wood Flooring Guy

Suffusion theme by Sayontan Sinha